How to Make a Commercial [Marketing Manager’s Guide]
These days, there is no shortage of creative ideas when it comes to increasing the reach of your brand and defining your brand voice. If you work in marketing, you may find the endless options exciting. However, if you are feeling overwhelmed, you certainly aren’t alone.
It’s true what they say. Classics are classics for a reason. It’s true when it comes to a little black dress for a formal evening out or a really good look. It also is definitely true when it comes to marketing! Video marketing is great to engage your audience, but you may be wondering about how to make a commercial for your company/business!
Video marketing is one of the most effective ways to:
- Increase customer engagement
- Develop your brand voice over multiple platforms
- Educate consumers about your products
When it comes to video marketing, commercial video still reigns supreme. That being said, for the average person, it can feel like a lot to take on. If you’re looking to take your marketing strategy to the next level, we’ve got all the information you need to create a quality commercial that works for you.
5 Reasons to Make a Commercial
There’s no way around it. Making a commercial takes lots of hard work and planning. So, is it really worth it in the end?
Our opinion? Absolutely!
A video commercial has lots of benefits, no matter what the goal of your marketing campaign is. Here are just a few of the things you can expect to change when you start to incorporate video ads into your marketing strategy.
- Reach New Customers – A high-quality commercial is a great way to reach new customers. A compelling story paired with eye-catching visuals can help to capture attention and make more people curious about your products or services.
- Showcase Product/Service – You know what they say. “Seeing is believing.” When it comes to winning the trust of your commercials, showing them exactly how your services or product works could be the thing that convinces them to take the plunge and purchase.
- Develop a Brand Voice – We’re living in a world where the market is oversaturated with businesses that claim to offer solutions to life’s daily problems. With so much noise, how does one company make an impact? It starts with having a clear and recognizable brand voice. A commercial video can help define your brand’s personality to the audience.
- Increase Engagement On Different Platforms – Social media is king these days, and marketing teams are constantly working on overdrive to beat complicated algorithms. A great commercial can work well on a variety of social media platforms and help do the work of engagement for you.
Before You Start
Have we convinced you yet? Slow down, friend! We’re glad that you are ready to jump headfirst into the work of commercial video production. However, before you take any action, there are some important things to consider.
- Goals ⭐️ – Before you start any big marketing project, it is a good idea to create clear goals for what you want this project to accomplish. Obviously, the underlying goal is to boost sales, but we encourage you to grow deeper. Come up with specific numbers. This will help you take actionable steps toward that.
- Define Your Style 👗 – Take some with your team to come up with a vision for what your video style may be. Is it humorous? Creative? Informative? Knowing this beforehand will help you create a product that you are happy with.
- Clarify Target Market 🎯 – In an ideal world, every single person in the world would want to buy your services. However, if you are trying to appeal to everyone, you’ll quickly find that your planning will become muddy. Having a specific audience in mind will allow you to tailor your commercial to them.
How to Make a Commercial in 10 Steps
Ready to get started? Here are the steps you should follow to create an awesome commercial that takes your business to the next level!
1) Create a Budget
Before you pull out your camera, you’ll want to develop a detailed budget. Budgeting in advance will help ensure that you get the most bang for your buck without breaking the bank. It will also help you define your limitations and decide which areas you can cut back in and which ones you’d prefer to spend a little extra on.
2) Consult with a Production Company
When it comes to commercial videos, there is a huge difference in quality between content created by amateurs and professionals. While you may be tempted to try and create your own, your future customers will be able to notice the difference in quality.
We highly recommend hiring a video production company. Not only will this ensure that you end up with an effective commercial, but you will also have access to their knowledge and experience. This can be invaluable if you are just starting out.
3) Start Storyboarding
Once you have your team of creative professionals assembled, you can begin storyboarding. Storyboarding involves planning out your commercial frame by frame so that your creative director knows exactly what you want in advance.
4) Create a Script
A good commercial script is fun, engaging, and quickly gets to the point. All the best commercials have a strong script that helps draw in your target audience. Your video production company may offer scripting services, so be sure to ask them about that during your interview process.
If you are writing the script on your own, it is important to keep your brand voice in mind while keeping it as efficient as possible.
5) Hire Actors
Once you have a plan in place, it is time to hire actors for your commercial video. We can’t stress enough the value of investing in professional actors. While it may cost you a little bit more, the quality can be the difference between a commercial that everyone scrolls by and a commercial that helps you find your ideal customer.
Your video production company can likely help connect you with your city’s local acting company through talent agencies or former projects.
6) Scout Locations
One of the most important parts of creating a great video is picking the perfect location. This is a great area to get creative in. Reach out to local cafes or offices to see if they have a space they would consider renting out to you.
7) Shoot Day
It’s finally here! The day of the shoot!
Before showing up to set, make sure to clearly communicate with your production team about the schedule and expectations. Planning ahead will help to alleviate any excess stress that comes with huge projects like this.
8) Make Edits
Once you’ve wrapped filming, your production company will start to edit the footage. They’ll use professional video editing software that will help to achieve a final commercial that you are happy with.
9) Schedule Ads
Once you receive your final product, it is time to plan out your ad strategy. Be sure to research the ideal times to post on various social media channels to ensure that your commercial gets the most engagement possible.
10) Watch Your Hard Work Pay Off!
It’s time to sit back, relax, and enjoy the customers that are drawn to your business by the quality content you are creating. In fact, it might be time to start planning out your next commercial!
Stringline Has Answers To Your Questions!
Have more questions about the process of creating a commercial? We hear you and are here to help. At Stringline Pictures, we are proud to offer top-notch video production services for every type of business out there. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help your business thrive!